Connecticut’s Best Crowns and Bridges
What is a crown?
A crown is a cap made from various materials suitable for withstanding the biting and chewing forces that a normal tooth must endure. It is placed over a tooth to restore its shape and size, strength, and/or to improve its appearance. The crowns, when cemented into place, fully encase the entire visible portion of the tooth that lies at and above the gum line.
What is a bridge?
A dental bridge is an appliance made to permanently fit between two porcelain crowns. The bridge fills the gap left by one or more missing teeth. We refer to this as a fixed bridge. Think of a fixed bridge as a permanent bridge which cannot be removed, unlike dentures which you can take out and put back in.
Why is a dental crown needed?
- To rebuild broken or decayed teeth or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth.
- To restore a damaged, broken or severely worn down tooth.
- To cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t much of the tooth left.
- To secure a dental bridge in place.
- To cosmetically improve the appearance of misshaped or severely discolored teeth.
- To cover a dental implant.
Why choose a fixed bridge?
- Their smile needs some restoration
- They want to be able to chew effectively
- They need help speaking clearly
- The shape of a patient’s face needs to be maintained
- It will help keep other teeth from becoming misaligned